Christian Hollinger

Software Engineering, GNU/Linux, Data, ML, and other things

26 Sep 2020

RE: Throw Away Code? Use go, not Python or Rust!

3224 words, ~12 min read

Responding to an article on using Rust for throw away code and prototyping: Making a case for go over Rust, Python, and perl.
06 Jul 2020

A Data Engineering Perspective on Go vs. Python (Part 2 - Dataflow)

9104 words, ~36 min read

In Part 2 of our comparison of Python and go from a Data Engineering perspective, we'll finally take a look at Apache Beam and Google Dataflow and how the go SDK and the Python SDK differ, what drawbacks we're dealing with, how fast it is by running extensive benchmarks, and how feasible it is to make the switch
11 Jun 2020

A Data Engineering Perspective on Go vs. Python (Part 1)

5340 words, ~21 min read

Exploring golang - can we ditch Python for go? And have we finally found a use case for go? Part 1 explores high-level differences between Python and go and gives specific examples on the two languages, aiming to answer the question based on Apache Beam and Google Dataflow as a real-world example.
21 May 2020

Goodbye, WordPress - Hello, Hugo & nginx

2626 words, ~10 min read

Ditching WordPress for a static site generator
25 Feb 2020

How a broken memory module hid in plain sight

1956 words, ~7 min read

How a broken memory module hid in plain sight – and how I blamed the Linux Kernel and two innocent hard drives
09 Dec 2019

Tensorflow on edge, or – Building a “smart” security camera with a Raspberry Pi

1919 words, ~7 min read

The amount of time my outdoor cameras are being set off by light, wind, cars, or anything other than a human is insane. Overly cautious security cameras might be a feature, but an annoying one at that...
07 Aug 2019

How I built a (tiny) real-time Telematics application on AWS

3888 words, ~15 min read

In 2017, I wrote about how to build a basic, Open Source, Hadoop-driven Telematics application (using Spark, Hive, HDFS, and Zeppelin) that can track your movements while driving, show you how your driving skills are, or how often you go over the speed limit - all without relying on 3rd party vendors processing and using that data on your behalf...
01 Jul 2019

A look at Apache Hadoop in 2019

2380 words, ~9 min read

In this article, we'll take a look at whether Apache Hadoop still a viable option in 2019, with Cloud driven data processing an analytics on the rise...
11 Apr 2019

Building a Home Server

3306 words, ~13 min read

In this article, I’ll document my process of building a home server - or NAS - for local storage, smb drives, backups, processing, git, CD-rips, and other headless computing...
27 Oct 2018

Analyzing Reddit’s Top Posts & Images With Google Cloud (Part 2 - AutoML)

2472 words, ~9 min read

In the last iteration of this article we analyzed the top 100 subreddits and tried to understand what makes a reddit post successful by using Google’s Cloud ML tool set to analyze popular pictures.